Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Hello from Edinburgh!

Hi everyone! Sorry for the delay in posting here, we've been quite busy over the last few days. My sister arrived safely in London on Saturday despite having to sit next to a psychotic drunk woman on the plane. That night we went out for Japanese in Leicester Square (where I learned that it's rude to tip at a Japanese restaurant... who knew?) and then went on a Jack the Ripper walking tour in east London. I loved the tour - our guide was a professional Jack the Ripper researcher who's writing several books on the topic, and was extremely thorough and knowledgeable. We saw most of the original buildings and areas where the murders took place, which was fascinating. East London is such a unique area - it's primarily Bangledeshi these days but it has previously been primarily Jewish. Most of the buildings there are original from the 18th and 19th centuries and are apparently quite expensive due to their historical significance. Although most of the tour took place in the rain, it was worth it - and the rain just added to the ambience.

The next day we wandered around the Knightsbridge area and went into Harrod's, where we saw the opera singing chefs making pizza. We also witnessed a big fight in the Marks and Spencer's between two women - it ended with one of them screaming 'Learn some manners you rude cow!!!!!' before storming off.

Anyway, we just arrived here in Edinburgh yesterday. It's been raining most of the time but it's an absolutely beautiful and awe-inspiring city. I've never seen a city with a similar layout - New Town is north of Princes Street and Old Town is south - it's Old Town that is just spectacular. You can imagine that the cityscape would have looked much the same a couple of hundred years ago. Our hostel isn't the nicest place on earth but it has everything we need and the people are nice - we've already gone out to the pub with a bunch of people here.

Today we walked the Royal Mile and went to Edinburgh Castle, which was fascinating. We wanted to see Hollyrood Palace as well, but it's closed right now to the public because the Queen is there!!

Tonight we're doing a walking tour of the underground dungeons... supposed to be quite spooky!!! We're looking into doing a full-day tour of the Highlands and Loch Ness tomorrow. Should be fantastic!

I hope everyone is doing well!!! I'll post again soon!

Love,
Emily

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hey!! I'm very glad you are having fun!! I'm also very jealous ;)
So far, I've only worked on one flight from Winnipeg to Toronto. Now I'm off to my guaranteed 3 days off (uninterrupted, no phone calls, no waiting..sweet sweet days off..)

Just to let you know.. It's also rude to tip waiters/waitresses in korea. Not too sure if that applies in Europe tho.. Korean restaurants in North America have adopted the "tipping-culture".

mark said...

I hope you bought your hobo stab insurance!!!

Glad you're having fun!!

leave small trinkets for me to find in the cities a month after you are there... it will be fun, i swear... for me... whatever!!

Mark ;)

Auntie Tobacco said...

Watch those Loch Ness monsters. I hear they respond well to chocolate so you might want to think about that...

Vancouver is lovely - it's going up to 30 later this week - the cunning plan to avoid Toronto heat apparently has fallen through.

Take care my babies! Write often...

eXTReMe Tracker